Holistic Healing Approaches
Many alternative therapies have been advocated. Some are effective but the bewildering number of therapies can be confusing. Holistic therapy is geared toward prevention and treatment combining nutritional balancing with various other modalities ranging from coffee enemas, meditation and positive mental imaging to ozone therapy, oxygen therapy and the use of saunas, particularly near infrared (NIr) lamp saunas.
Near Infrared Saunas Provide Enormous Health Benefits in 2 Main Categories of Effects:
- Near Infrared Light Therapy, also referred to as photobiomodulation, mitochondrial stimulation, near infrared light therapy, phototherapy, red light therapy
- Hyperthermic Therapy, also referred to as Heat Conditioning or Heat Therapy
Near Infrared Light (NIR): The Magic Wavelength
Only NIR Light Has a Photobiological Effect on Humans
The sun is more important to life on earth than any other factor. Over the 3-4 Billion years that life has been present on our planet all living organisms have received light and heat from the sun. 90% or more of light that reaches the surface of earth is visible and infrared light, the latter mostly near infrared light. Our bodies have tiny receptors called chromophores that absorb near infrared light between 600 nanometers (nm) and 950 nm. Near infrared light is the only light that penetrates deep into our bodies reaching into our cells and mitochondria.
A large and rapidly growing body of knowledge supports the use of near infrared light to treat and prevent many illnesses, physical and toxic injuries, and other health conditions.
By Nature’s design our cells and tissues have been programmed to utilize near infrared (NIR) light and heat from the sun. NIR light directly stimulates mitochondrial ATP production, modulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and induction of transcription factors. These effects in turn lead to increased cell proliferation and migration (particularly by fibroblasts), modulation in levels of cytokines, growth factors and inflammatory mediators, and increased tissue oxygenation. NIr light absorption also causes activation of important anti-aging transcription factors like KFkB and AP1.
Direct Metabolism Boost
This effect cannot be overstated. Everything works better when oxidative phosphorylation (ATP production) improves. Mitochondria ramp up ATP production when excited with NIR light.
Toxicity is a crucial problem for the cancer patient. They often suffer from congestion of internal organs, particularly the liver and kidneys, our main organs of elimination. Toxic chemicals, heavy metals, and radioactive materials all contribute to the onset of cancer too. NIR lamp saunas provide the deep heat penetration necessary to relieve liver and kidney congestion, rapidly shunting blood to the skin and improving detoxification in the cancer patient. This allows easier removal of dead tissue and toxins associated with cell death. Sauna therapy also greatly enhances overall detoxification in all people by utilizing the tremendous ability of the skin as an organ of elimination and detoxification.
Other Healing Benefits of NIr Light
Many other health benefits ensue from exposure to near infrared light.
- Multiple studies show accelerated healing of wounds and other types of tissue injury using NIR light.
- Low level light therapy has been shown to reduce joint and muscle pain in rats.
- Penetrating near infrared light attacks joint and muscle problems from multiple angles.
- NIr light leads to the release of nitric oxide stimulating vasodilation of the microcirculatory system bringing more blood supply to muscles.
- NIr light exposure alone reduces muscle fatigue.
- NIr light accelerates healing of muscle and other tissue injury.
- Endurance capability is improved. Inflammation associated with muscle and joint disorders is diminished.
- Near infrared light stimulates vital collagen and elastin production. Collagen helps plump the skin, while elastin firms the skin. The visible red and NIr light energizes and repairs damaged cells, stimulating collagen and elastin and returning the skin to a more youthful look.  
- NIr light is being used currently to treat specific skin problems such as psoriasis, acne scars, eczema, rosacea and more.
Our founder Brian Richards’ article The Best New Performance Enhancing “Drug” – Near Infrared Lamp Sauna covers the Alliance of Heat and Light Therapy in-depth.